Monday, March 24, 2008

stop, look, stand, and you stuck but don't stick


"stop , look , stand and you stuck but don't stick
come aboard now,
we got the Georgetowns
[love.],
it's on now
so many phat styles ,
make a kid's head fall out"

-- Raekwon (from "Sneakers" which can be found on this Best of Pete Rock Mixtape)

So if you click the Georgetown link you'll see Nike is re-releasing the Terminators which are the kind of shoes that make me momentarily lose my cool when I see the big NIKE peeking out from under a pant leg. Of course I haven't seen these in years and probably won't because they're being released in Southeast Asia and no one in their right mind would touch the exchange rate right now. Boo. There are some other (Air Tech Challenge II/Air Max95) interesting (Stussy/New Balance CM670--today 16,590 JPY = 165 USD = + shipping means not worth it) releases (Jordan 3's) coming out soon but I'm in conservation mode in case the economy tanks. Unless of course my shoes of choice hit the local sneaker shop...

The 2nd banned Boondocks episode, "The Uncle Ruckus Reality Show" is up but watch it while you can... they get taken down quick. Part 1 is here and Part 2 is in the related videos. If (when) it's taken down let me know if you missed it and I'll find another link:



The first banned episode - "Hunger Strike"

"Hip Hop Just Saved My Life" - Lupe




In other news:

  • US death toll in Iraq hit the 4,000 mark. Check out the NYTimes feature on it with messages from the front, etc. It's moving and important we stay in touch with the realities of the situation. It's so easy to ignore what's going on "over there" and not think about the horrific tragedies that these men and women face every day. What's really scary is the amount of traumatic brain injuries [get familiar.] so many service members suffer while still serving and have to live with for the rest of their lives. The largest group found to be suffering from TBIs are the 21 year olds.
A growing number of U.S. troops whose body armor helped them survive bomb and rocket attacks are suffering brain damage as a result of the blasts. It's a type of injury some military doctors say has become the signature wound of the Iraq war. Known as traumatic brain injury, or TBI, the wound is of the sort that many soldiers in previous wars never lived long enough to suffer. The explosions often cause brain damage similar to "shaken-baby syndrome," says Warren Lux, a neurologist at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington.
  • A 12 year old was arrested for throwing a rock through Souljah Boy's tour bus window and told the officers it was because he "hates Souljah Boy." Don't we all.... click the link to see a pic of T.I.'s family as a bonus. No comment.
  • As the economy gets worse it puts consumers in a position to bargain over prices, even with big box retailers. The guys in that article knocked $1000 off two TV's at Best Buy and do stuff like it all the time. I just bought a camcorder from Circuit City and was able to bring the price down a good amount and get a free bag and tripod because I came in informed and with printouts showing what was available online. It's an underutilized tactic that could save you a good amount of money.
  • Here's the transcript from Obama's speech on race. Kudos to him for addressing the situation. All I'll say (for now) is that for anyone to say Americans are over the race issue is absolutely ridiculous. Also, this hoopla over Rev. Wright is beyond excessive. There is plenty my preacher has said that I didn't concur with 100% and that doesn't change my love and respect for him, my personal beliefs, and least of all my relationship with God. Check the Trinity YouTube Channel for the full sermons to see how much the media manipulated the sermons (which are still admittedly controversial but shouldn't be used against Obama). Also check out the comments on some of those videos - some of the most intelligent commentary I've seen on YouTube to date! Common was apparently raised in the same church and recently stated:

"He never really was against white people or another race," says Common. "It was more against an establishment that was oppressing people. I think we all can see that this country has problems and a lot of it starts in the political system."
"What I picked up from the pews...was messages of love," adds Common. "Anything that was going on against that love he would acknowledge and expose. He's been a preacher that's helped raise one of the greatest political figures in the world, and hopefully, the next President. He's also raised one of the greatest rappers in the world.

  • 2dopeboyz posted this Official A3C Mixtape from HipHopDX which promises to be hot just from the tracklisting. That W.A.L.E.D.A.N.C.E. is worth the download in itself, so add Little Brother, C.R.A.C., Tanya Morgan.... you get the picture.
  • If you've been paying attention you know I love me some Blu (solely in a musical fashion of course). HipHopDX just posted this interview today with him. I haven't read it all yet but I thought I'd throw it up anyway. Yitidee!

“If I give you a leaf or a pearl that you trample in the dust, then I am sorry. I give them to you because I want to. It is my gift — or offering — to you; you do with it as you wish.” -Alice Coltrane

No comments: