Saturday, March 15, 2008

this treadmill lifestyle ain't workin for me


"one two it don't stop, out of town on a quick escape, hoping to have a chance to slow it up and hit the breaks, and slow it down ...."
- Phonte

So I finally got all my pics uploaded on the computer from Spring Break and I'm back in the ATX. By the way, SXSW is going on and I got a chance to go see Kweli, Jean Grae, and Ice Cube -- for free! Gotta love this city. Anywho, I thought I'd highlight the brightest parts of my trip in case you're ever in the D.C. area and want to get a different spin on the city...

First up is Busboys and Poets - a lounge downtown that was absolutely incredible. One of my favorite people in the whole wide world came and picked me up from my digs in Maryland and we went to this bookstore/lounge/bar/restaurant that served great food and had a crazy diverse crowd. We sat in the back room (pictured below) which had an amazing mural on the wall - the picture doesn't do it justice - and was more private than the bar area. The name of the place is a nod to Langston Hughes which you can read more about on their site. Definitely make this a priority on your next trip. I also attended a day of classes at Howard. The historical architecture was breathtaking and we made it a point to explore the Founder's Library. There is a hidden museum in there with photographs and documents tracing the school's history back from present day to its founding in 1867. Most of my time was with Howard students and they were all really cool too and inviting and all that. Plus they know how to throw a mean house party.


Later that day another friend came and gave me a driving tour of the city. Georgetown is like a whole other world and I would've never known it was there because I had just been riding around on the subway. We saw M Street (shown), Georgetown U and all that. The houses are all built shotgun style and it's more colorful than a pack of crayons. I felt like I was walking around in a movie.


In addition we did all the stuff on the National Mall -- the Lincoln Memorial, Smithsonian, Capital, memorials, etc. The whole city was just dripping with history from the house parties to the streets. I couldn't have asked for a better "inaugural" trip to D.C.

K_a_n_y_e West feat. W_a_l_e - Good Life (DC Remix)


W_a_l_e - Eye No D.C.


No comments: