Friday, May 23, 2008

no matter what I say it's nothing but words

A while back I wrote about Anthony David. I think he's sensational. His video for "Words" with India Arie just came out and I have to say.... I love it. I'll even give him a pass for that nose ring. It's a great song, but I haven't heard anything from him I haven't found enthralling. I'll upload a couple more of his songs once I get hooked back up to my external hard drive. India Arie looks beautiful and her voice is as rich and strong as always. The woman just seems to personify "organic" to me.


AND 2dopeboyz posted up the W.A.L.E.D.A.N.C.E. video that has fiiiinally come out. I posted the preview a minute ago -- ya'll already know I love the sample and Wale! The video is nice, there are a ton of pop culture references. I might like the original Justice version a bit better-- it blew my mind the first time I saw it. Anyhow, did you see Harold and the Purple Crayon? I love it!


This album is from 1957 with Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald. It coincides with the 1959 movie of the same name starring Sidney Poitier, Dorothy Dandridge, and Sammy Davis, Jr which my mom went to see as a little girl with my grandmother. Then, earlier this year, I saw the amazing, wildly acclaimed play put on by the Zachary Scott Theater in Austin. I love how things carry over like that. Everything in this world is so ephemeral, I like when something lasts longer than the usual fad. It's a classic, I know you know "Summertime" -- there have been a million and one covers of it since it was first written - just type in "Summertime" on Youtube. I used to run track with the nicest, sweetest, most genuine girl who had a voice that rivaled any classic singer and when she sang "Summertime" I still remember the whole world stopping except for her and her amazing voice. She passed away from a brain tumor and I still think of her every time I hear the song. It was so amazing and I don't think it's recorded anywhere. Anyway, get familiar with some good music, the good Lord knows we need it after all the Soulja Boys and Soulja Girls running around the airwaves today.


No comments: