Friday, July 25, 2008

jazmine sullivan


Jazmine Sullivan has been circling in on the radar for a while but it seems like a lot of new material of hers keeps popping up on the old Google Reader and it was too quality to
not share. She's 20 years old, from Philly, and Amazon has her album "Fearless" coming out on September 16. I think chick is highly slept on but it seems with her new single "Need U Bad" feat. Missy she's getting more coverage. That reggae beat behind her strong vocals makes me wanna dance Shabba Ranks style.



I first heard Jazmine on the blog circuit doing "Resentment" - which is one of my all time favorite songs - and I thought she did well, but she didn't kill it like Bey.

I heard her again on "Need U Bad" which, as I've said, is a fabulous piece of music. I didn't realize it was the same person until I looked it up later. I thought her voice was a lot better than some of the stuff that makes it onto the radio these days and the fact that Missy was on the song helped give it some credit in my book - Missy Elliot is always ahead of the curve.

The other day "Bust Your Windows" started making the rounds and Jazmine has this nice passive aggressive thing that I am
definitely feeling. "I didn't want to, but I took my turn/ I'm glad I did it because you had to learn/ I must admit it helped a little bit/ To think of how you felt when you saw it/ I didn't know that I had that much strength/ But I'm glad to see what happens when." Preach.

Then, yesterday, I heard "Lions and Tigers" which, without hesitation, shut the playlist off and went into immediate repeat. I can see why even Stevie Wonder is cosigning on her. I'll look forward to purchasing her album in mid September. Check her MySpace for more. http://www.myspace.com/jazminesullivan



No comments: