Monday, December 29, 2008

getting back to it

I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.
- Ernest Hemingway



I know it's been forever since I've blogged. Often I find myself completely overwhelmed by the amount of information I'm expected to process daily: I subscribe to 96 blogs in addition to following my Twitter friends and my Facebook friends (my MySpace friends have long been neglected), the news (in print and digital), any books I'm reading, my personal studies (currently my goal is to be roughly fluent in Spanish by 1/12), e-mail, and "reality" (my friends and family in "real life"). I have to journal not for the sentimental value but so I have some record of what's important to me. I spend a terribly inefficient amount of time trying to become more efficient. The "Information Age" can be quite exhausting. Sometimes I just need to sit back and listen. Listen to my imperfections, listen to the wisdom of those around me, and take time to process instead of just paying attention. With so many words and concepts being tossed at me and circulating in the blogosphere - which often overlap to a sickening degree - I don't need to be contributing to the mess. On the other hand, The Thirteenth Floor is a nice way to sit down and order my thoughts in the audience of "my people" as well as a handful of strangers. Maybe if I contribute enough original thoughts something will stick and help someone else out one day. I probably won't ever be a regular poster - I just don't have enough time (or desire) to write that much. Thanfully I can give the Reader's Digest version in 140 characters or left -- if only more of my bff's were involved, it would be much more fun. Ditto if Facebook and Twitter got together on some syncing biz.


Anywho, let's get back to it.

No comments: